Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28.. I have been feeling a bit homesick the past couple of days, and it has been comforting to know that I can turn to the word to find peace and hope. I know that the lord has me here for a reason. I am learning a lot, having a lot of fun, and very thankful for this opportunity... I just miss my sisters, family, friends, and my comfortable, simple life in the U.S. (One more thing I miss- being able to drive my car whenever and wherever.)


Like I told you all in last Wednesday's post, today was my turn to cook for the Math and Science Department Morning Tea. I was assigned the "sweets" role; so I made fruit pizza. :) Everyone seemed to enjoy it. However, finding all the ingredients last night in the grocery store was not an easy task. Who knew following an American recipes in Australia would be a bit challenging?? They do not have logs of sugar-cookie cookie dough... I had to make that part from scratch... (EEK!)..... and dealing with the metric system for everything! (I know you are probably thinking-- 'haha and you are supposed to be a math person and teach students how to convert things to and from the metric system', but it was overwhelming, OKAY!?)


A little about the culture:
Australians recon when Americans think.
Australians say no worries when Americans say thank you.
Australians say G'day and ask How's you goin'?  when Americans say hello and ask How are you doing?
Australians shorten everything, and I mean everything. (not literally the word everything... but you know) I have noticed that words with only one syllable, they  add an "ie" to the end.
Examples: "sunnies"- sunglasses,"chewie"- chewing gum, "postie"- postman, "footie"- football, "barbie"- barbeque, "Bushie"- someone who lives in the bush, "bather"- bathing suit, "lollies"- any kind of sweet or candy, "mozzie"- mosquito

That is all for now.. THANKS FOR READING :) *AND* MOST IMPORTANTLY-
G'DAY MATES! :)








No comments:

Post a Comment